Monday 10 November 2008

America!

First and foremost, I want to thank my family for sending me necessities which included: five pounds of swiss cheese (in wheel form), two pounds of smoked cheddar, two packs of corn tortillas, yellow rice, yogurt covered pretzels, chocolate, mints and Pringles potato chips. If you thought that I would get skinny while I'm over here living the Asian dream on rice, octopus and kimchi, don't hold your breath. I do not plan to ditch my American-ness so readily. As of now, I am listening to Fergalicious which always reminds me of how my brother loved to shake his rump when that jam came on. Unfortunately, baby Chris grew up a little bit and now seethes of inappropriate humor and sarcasm. Yes, Fergie, cheese and sarcasm are bits of American culture that I have found myself missing lately (well Fergie, not so much, but it's kind of a blast from the past).

Also in regards to American culture, I should probably touch base on the election which happened last week. I will be upfront and state that I have been registered as a Republican voter ever since I have been old enough to vote. More than anything else, my conservative approach stems from my preference for conservative economic policy. That being said, I want as little government intervention in personal finances, financial institutions, etc. I appreciate a free market and oppose increased taxes (as do many Americans). The American tendency is and has been to acquire as many material belongings, regardless of how much money exists in the bank account. Loans, credit, and leases are some "options" which have only perpetuated this American attitude. This attitude alone has obviously attributed significantly to the economic meltdown in the U.S. The irony of the bailout of the banks is that of course these institutions were not given specific caps of the amount they could rake in each year by the government, however when they teetered bankruptcy, it all of a sudden became the burden of taxpayers.

A Korean friend of mine who has just relocated back to Seoul after living for nine years in the U.S. and worked as an accountant said that loans for homes are rather uncommon and certainly not of the magnitude as in the U.S. Credit is becoming increasingly popular in Korea and to attract the right mates, the women over here must have their $2,000 hand bags (purchased via credit cards). American tendencies circumnavigate the globe and some of those tendencies may be detrimental to societies and economies. I could go on and on, but I have learned a lot over the past couple of years from my parents and their emphasis of living within your means and because of the loans I have taken out to go to a private university that was not as exciting or demanding as I thought when I was 18 and "ready to take on the world."

That being said, I voted absentee and I voted for John McCain. This was a ground breaking election and although the candidate that I did not vote for won, I am prepared to see how America will move forward as of January 20th, 2009. I want to see Mr. Obama steer America in the right direction, a path opposite from the current administration. The American people have been dissatisfied with the status quo and wanted a blantant change. I am eager to see what change transpires, how we are percieved by the rest of the world and to hold Mr. Obama to his inspiring words.

Godspeed America, and I hope all that jazz is turned around by the time I return :)


No comments: