Friday 6 March 2009

Mexico Meets Korea...y Dice Queeee?


If you are not aware, I had my first visitor last weekend!!! Of course, it was no other than my lovely friend Jonathan from Monterrey, Mexico! Approximately two weeks prior to our overdue rendezvous (it had been about seven months), Jon contacted me to let me know that he was headed my way to attend expositions in both Tokyo and Seoul pertinent to his family business. After chatting with Jon while he was in Tokyo, it was apparent that he had already developed a disdain for the abundance of rice in the East and small amount of English spoken. He got into Seoul on Thursday afternoon and got extremely lost in taxis while searching for the exposition (per my directions and the extreme language barrier). After Jon's Korean escapades all over the city, I found one of my favorite people in the mundo passed out in the dark on my bed when I got home from work. It was then that I knew all was right with the world.

Jon and I had tons to discuss as we galloped out of the J-Castle (my apartment building...full name: "The House of the Lord") to feast on scrumptious Korean style nachos, burritos and quesadillas at Dos Tacos. We were like lost Chihuahua puppies trying to find any morsel that hinted at similarities to our comfortable Mexican surroundings. On Friday, Jon and I left The House of the Lord to pursue our livelihoods (mine: 6 months left and counting).Justify Full

Friday night was the first night I had ever been to Outback Steakhouse in Korea! I had been craving one of their salads (and to balance it out, we had a "Bloomin' Onion") for the longest time. We met up with my co-workers Carly and Sue. It was a big night out to dinner and was topped off with watching season 5 episodes of The Office for Kindergarten graduation ceremonies followed bright and early on Saturday morning. To this day, I am so thankful for Jon's timely visit because I had my own personal photographer at graduation! I have included a video taken by Jon of my baby Armadillos. Please pay special attention to Sally Cho (the pee-er) and her lack of interest in our performance. I made the costumes myself and I plan to add it to my resume so employers flock to me upon my return.

After the ceremony and dance performances, we all went to lunch together and then Jon and I peeled out in a cab to get home and watch The Office with Jon's mimosa-like concoctions. I cannot get enough of the top American drama and I am so thankful that my visitor a) brought the show and b) shares the same enthusiasm...we quoted it almost all day, everyday... even as we went souvenir shopping and sightseeing at the Seoul Tower, the highest point in the city and a large tourist attraction. As we hustled to the top (via cable car of course), I reminded Jonathan of Ariel rushing with Flounder and the barrels of oil to crash the wedding before sunset. We were able to strategically place ourselves at the tower before sunset
and made it just in time for the spectacular view.

After the awesome weekend, Jonathan had to leave for Mexico and I had to resume my Korean life and return to being a kindergarten teacher.

'Six months.' Inhale... exhale.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I'm convinced that Sally's performance drove her parents to switch her to Mapo. :) Embarrasment does crazy things to people.