Sunday 14 September 2008

How I Ended up in Asia...

How on earth did Meredith end up in Asia might you ask?

It all began one evening during the Yuletide season at a small, quaint venue in Wooster, Ohio called The Old Jaol. Yes, our aged "jaol" had been revamped and turned into a bar. I rarely mingle with locals, specifically those I went to high school with. I swear to this day that I will not attend a high school reunion without achieving vast success (such as but not limited to: marrying a fabulous rico suave/owning a multi-billion dollar home in Miami). Nonethess, I was out that evening with a few friends that I still remain close to and we [thoroughly] enjoyed ourselves. I ran into my friend, Meredith from high school (irony, yes.) and as we were talking, she told me that she was teaching English in Seoul, Korea. It was near Christmas, I was merry, the vodka cranberry concotions really tickled my fancy and I thought too that Seoul would be my calling.

A few months later, I had been in contact with the owner of SLP (Sogang University Language Program) and got really good vibes. I decided to toss my love for Latin men, my faulty attempts at Spanish and my obsession with Mexico aside (...unless any Pepe locos roam the streets of Seoul) for one calendar year to dabble a bit in Asia. I graduated from John Carroll University on May 18th, lived off my wonderful parents for about 3 months (of course I managed to hustle it south of the border and to D.C. on various occassions) and landed in Seoul on August 25.

2 comments:

GabrielaCantu said...

Hi Mer¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

I am so happy I have your blog now...you write really good :)

I hope Asia does not win your heart enough to forget about us...in this beautiful part of the world called Mexico...and more specifically the best town in the whole country called Monterrey hahahaha

Te mando un abrazo y cuando quieras practicar español, mándame un correo :)

Gaby C.

Unknown said...

hey Meredith! I enjoy so much your emails .. .ajajaj ... (spanish laughing) and now a blog... awesome... I hope you update regularly... upload some pics! have fun...
mario