Sunday 28 September 2008

Witnessing Johnny Mac and Barack from Afar...

After a relaxing weekend, I'm ready to kick off another week! I actually only have a four day work week due to a national holiday on October 3rd and I have absolutely no idea what it is for, but I'm fine with that.

The weather finally changed on Friday so it is now brisk, which I prefer to sweltering heat. On Friday evening, I laid low and was able to catch up on reading and get to bed early after a long week. I woke up on the earlier side on Saturday to do a Skype call with my friend Anant who is studying in Boston and then to witness the first presidential debate. Although I was not expecting a whole lot other than perpetual slams from each participant, I was excited to be doing something "American" from abroad. I could not see a blantant victor and found faults with both sides. It was interesting to me that McCain did not once look at Obama and that they both put so much effort in painting themselves very different individuals but said many of the same things. However I will not bore you all with what I assume you are already tired of, but it was very nice to see and I found a spectacular stream at www.nytimes.com.

After watching the debate, I wanted to hear what my dear grandmother in Ashland, Ohio had to say (and after calling my friend Anant, I was on a Skype roll) about the election and we had some catching up to do. Grandma filled me in about the new spouses we have in the family. Cousin Brady married a Filipina and his sister, Leah, is headed to Veracruz, Mexico to begin building a house with her boyfriend, Saul. Grandma Shirley said that it is nice to have some "different" ones in the family these days, and it was said in nothing short of a positive context. After that statement, she asked if we would have a Korean in the family too... I let her know that when I do reach the "marrying age," that I certainly hope to add to the diversity on our family tree :) I was also able to catch Grandpa Dick (aka Tricky). He seemed to be in high spirits and asked what the heck I eat over here in Seoul. I let him know that the cuisine is relatively decent although I have not yet taken much of a liking to the national speciality, kimchi. When Koreans ask if I like kimchi, my response goes something like "No. It is rotten cabbage doused in spice," yet then I try to compensate by expressing my love for rice or saying that Seoul is a beautiful city...irrelevant but I'm really working on tact.

After my multiple calls to friends and family in the states, I went for a walk by the Han River. It is very near our apartment building and the weather has been gorgeous! Later that evening, Meredith T., Darcie and I met up with my friends Nam, Lee and Hazel (all of whom I know from D.C.), other teachers from our school in the Mapo area and a friend of mine named Jayoung who I met at a yoga class. We went to a bar in Itaewon called "Bugalow," where the theme is rather tropical, including sand, tiki torches and cabana style structures. It was a very nice time and the drink of choice was the Mojito Diablo. Delicious. Anyway, it was very nice to see my friends because I know they are so busy with their jobs in the banks during the week.

All in all, I had a very nice and relaxing weekend. This is going to be a fabulous week because I am getting paid (I'm really needing the $$$ at this point!) and we are off on Friday. Also, I am not sure how to post photos on my blog, but Darcie is a web genius and that project will be pursued soon, I promise!


1 comment:

One Small Voz said...

Meredith, I take the 'different' description of my life as nothing less than a compliment... conventionality is far too insipid for me! :-)