Tuesday 30 September 2008

I'm Rich [insert text]!


Praise Sweet Mary Magdalene for I am no longer living penniless in foreign lands! Yes my friends, a jingle in my pocket is what I have and I am ecstatic [for the time being...until loan amounts are deducted]. Here is how the first paycheck was cashed in (in the past 12 hours):

1.) Curry. I could eat curry every day for every meal but my lack of culinary skills have limited that possibility. After school last evening, a fellow teacher and friend from Minnesota, Carly, and I ventured to pluck our hard-earned won from the ATM nearest to our apartment building. We ran into a restaurant called "Curry Rice," which sounded legitimate and was a good choice. Toward the end of our dining experience, I noticed the fine trinkets they had on the wall...


Please notice that at "Curry Rice," their decor is "pro" Indian culture, be it the culture of those actually from India, as well as American Indians.

2.) I love bufandas (scarves, for the non-native Spanish speakers). After my Indian/American Indian meal, Carly and I roamed the streets of Hongdae (our neighborhood) in search of coffee. On the way, I met Sue peddling scarves sculpted by his own hands. Sue was a man in his mid to late thirties. He donned sparkly stone-encrusted, Bvlgari glasses and had some serious blonde locks. Sue spoke wonderful English and had spent much time in NYC. In time, a young child hopped out of Sue's scarf van. Sue said, "Ah, meet my son, he is so cute, he travels with me to sell scarves!" Wow. I did not see having a child, particularly offspring, as a potential characteristic of this man. Anyway, Korea rocks and I bought two of Sue's scarves.

3.) Gym membership! Yessss. Although I trek it everywhere under the sun over here , I wanted to get a gym membership to use in the mornings before I teach. The gyms provide clothing for members over here... no, no, no. I hold the same view about public clothing as public shoes. I just don't do it. I was the only person in the establishment wearing my own clothes and with obnoxious red hair. I'm sure the people of Korea think I am crazy and from some hidden jungle. In addition to the typical machines that I have ever been used to, this place has a "jiggle belt" contraption. I only use the word "jiggle belt" for that is what my parents have called it and mocked for years. Apparently it was popular and phased out by the 80's in the states, but who knows, maybe that is why Asians are so thin, they use these damn jiggle belts.

No comments: